How to half double crochet
The half double crochet, also known in the UK as the half treble, is an easy yet essential stitch for beginners and seasoned crocheters alike.
Falling between a single crochet and double crochet in height, the half double crochet, often abbreviated to ‘hdc’, draws the yarn through three loops on the hook at a time instead of two. This popular medium height, snug stitch is a crochet staple, especially handy when creating height gradient effects.
Step by step
- Yarn over the crochet hook.
- Insert your crochet hook into the next stitch.
- Yarn over. Pull your yarn through the stitch.
- You should now have three loops on your crochet hook.
- Yarn over again. Pull hook through all three loops.
Just a heads up that the US half double crochet is known as the half treble in the UK.